We went to the Cancer Center this morning fully expecting my HCG level to have normalized. That didn't happen, so I will start chemotherapy on Monday. We knew from the onset that my options were either surgery or chemotherapy, depending on the test results. With my LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) normalizing almost immediately after surgery and my AFP (alpha-fetoprotein) normalizing almost two weeks ago, we thought we were on the fast track to a RPLND (retroperitoneal lymph node dissection) -- a surgery to remove the lymph nodes in the abdomen. This could have cured the cancer without the need for chemotherapy, but it is a very delicate procedure with risks of its own. Also, I would have had to travel to Indiana or New York, as it is recommended it only be done by an experienced urological oncologist. Look it up on the internet and you will understand why I'm not totally disappointed about not having the surgery.
With my HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) still above normal and not falling for the third week in a row, my option is now three rounds of bleomycin, etoposide and cisplatin -- or 3XBEP -- and will take approximately 9 weeks. I will get etoposide and cisplatin for five days in week 1. I will get bleomycin on day 1 of week 1, week 2, and week 3. This is one round or cycle. Each drug carries the risk of serious side effects, but has been proven to be very effective in treating testicular and other types of cancer. There is an excellent chance that I will not require a RPLND after treatment, though there is still a chance I will if later scans show evidence of teratoma in my lymph nodes. This is a slow-growing tumor left over from the cancer that can later turn cancerous if not resected.
Please pray for us as we undertake this portion of our journey through testicular cancer. Pray that my treatment will go well. Pray that I will not suffer any of the serious side effects the doctors are obliged to warn us of. Pray that my energy and strength will be good and that I can function normally. Pray for my doctors and nurses and all who oversee my healthcare. Pray for my family, who will endure all of this with me and offer so much love and encouragement. God is listening, and you know what else? HE IS STILL IN CONTROL!!! Blessed be His name, for He alone is worthy to be praised!
Da latest.
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment